malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Johore SG1 on ebay
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:25 pm 
MSG member

Attachment:
postagechew.jpg
postagechew.jpg [ 41.37 KiB | Viewed 797 times ]
The duff item above is listed by ebay vendor postagechew - described 'as is', it is an obvious fake

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Johore SG1 on ebay
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:46 pm 

Hello Susan
I can see that the orientation of the overprint is wrong compared to that shown in SG, but I note that the catalogue says the overprint can be sideways or upright. Could you go into more detail about what else is wrong with the overprint?
Do you perhaps have scans available of good examples of this stamp? I don't have a copy in my collection so I have nothing to compare it with.
Also, may ask your opinion of the attached which I found in a collection I bought several years ago.
Attachment:
File comment: Genuine or fake?
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 638.1 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]

I can't find a matching overprint in Stanley Gibbons.

I've looked quite hard at a large scale scan of this now and I think it's a forgery.
The overprint appears to have been applied on top of a washed pen cancel, (fiscal?), then the bars cancellation looks to have been applied on top of that.

Poo! :x

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:24 pm 
MSG member

Hi
here goes : The 'SG1'
    looks like a laser print,
    real ones are greyer / less complete.
    the orientation is less of a factor - there's an article in TMP by Richard Hale + Andrew Norris on these overprints, which I recomend, it lists and illustrates the known genuine SG1s.
The vendor is asking £45 and describing it - 'As Is' if genuine mint it would be - say £10,000 or more. It catalogues £22,000. if the vendor thought there was any chance of it being genuine - he would get a certificate and put it into a big auction. He's trying to sting someone who thinks they' re getting the find of a lifetime!

re your JOHORE on pink, sorry it doesn't match any of the known types. SG catalogue is a good start on them. There is a pale 2/ which might be part of a date, the bars cancel is not a Johore type - perhaps a Straits cancel. It is fun, but not genuine :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:47 pm 

Thanks for replying Susan.

It was my hope that by asking the question, the more expert members of our community would share their expertise. The question wasn't provoked by any doubt on my part as to the wrongness of the stamp, and I admit I did not bother going to the Ebay listing to see the pricing, which as you say is a dead giveaway.

Now if I had thought to check the TMP indexes before I requested scans, I might have found Richard's article, (thank you for the pointer) which
provided exactly what I was after. I'm afraid though that if I had searched off my own bat I would not have had the tenacity to plough through all the references my text search returned :?

Having looked at all the examples and compared them with the Ebay offer I would have been taken in, but for the ridiculously low price.
And yes you're right. Such a stamp, if genuine would never be auctioned on Ebay.

Do you take it in turns to do the auction watch? Given the number of listings for our area it must be time consuming.

Ben

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:58 am 
MSG member

Hi Ben

if you've not already reported PostageChew to ebay on this item - as a fake offered 'as is'

please do so.

the more reports the better the chance ebay will act !

and no we don't run an organised 'auction watch' - I report things I happen to find.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:38 pm 

Have done Susan.
They don't make it obvious or straightforward, do they? :)