malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:13 pm 
MSG member

Cover posted on the 15th. November 2603 From Teluk Anson, Perak to Alor Star, Kedah. A piece of paper was pasted to the reverse of the cover, bearing the address and senders details. The cover was returned to the addressee on the 24th. November 2603, although this may not be clear to the viewer as the address was defaced with red ink. I have little knowledge of Jap Occ, but this curious cover raises the following questions:

If my dates above are correct, why was the paper applied outgoing? There appears to be nothing under the paper apart from the covers flap.

Why was postage not applied for the covers return?

What are the Japanese markings, which have been cancelled with red ink crosses?

What is the Japanese CDS on the cover reverse, as it is all in Japanese?

It would have made more sense if the cover had been delivered in the reverse order! Please see illustrations.

All comments, as usual, are welcome.

:x

Attachments:
File comment: Inside of Cover
Cover Back 001.jpg
Cover Back 001.jpg [ 184.05 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]
File comment: Cover Front and Back
Cover Front.jpg
Cover Front.jpg [ 257.04 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:03 pm 
MSG member

Mac,
at first this seems to be a puzzle :)
The big rectangular boxes are Japanese censor chops. The red lines cross out both the censor boxes and an address in Telok Anson, addressed to . . . Loke Sing . something at 314 Jalan Rajah Muda. .

I think that what happened is that the cover was sent to Loke Sing at Telok Anson. Paper was in short supply and the sender of your cover, W Rozario at the same address in Telok Anson, has crossed out the original address and censor boxes, turned the cover over and sent it to Mrs Ooi at Alor Star posting it on the 16th November ( 2603 11 16 ).

The cancel on the back 2603 11 24 is Alor Star ( 24th Nov) and is the receiving mark ( ref our late friend Patrick Kearney's book on Jap Occ postmarks).
There are 3 censor boxes on the back ! 1 each in purple, blue and black. One of them - probably the one in black as it goes over the resealing tape relates - to the journey to Alor Star. It is probable that the envelope had been used before its journey to Telok Anson, hence the extra censor box and the I note the red crossing out goes carefully from corner to corner onthe blue censor mark.

8 days transit from Telok Anson to Alor Star may seem a bit long, but the sender had endorsed it "written in English" and this would have given the Censor a bit of a problem - the Japanese had launched a campaign in 1943 to eliminate the use of the English Language, [ I can find the exact date if necessary] so this would have been pending a decision on how to handle it. The answer was - censor it and deliver it.

This was intended to be a short answer :roll: but it is a more complex and fascinating item than it appears, even though it was not returned to the sender.

It fits into your censorship collection ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:48 am 
MSG member

Thanks very much Susan, a very nice explanation! I am starting to fill that gap, 1942- 1945, should be ready for a new display in about 10 years!

Regards,

Mac :roll: