malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Jap Occ Collector
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:40 pm 
MSG member

Hello People

I have just joined the Malaya Study Group and am also quite new to Stamp collecting.
My main interest is in the Japanese Occupation of Malaya and Singapore. Having been to singapore on many occasions i love the history and culture.
I have picked up a few overprinted postcards (including a selangor exhibition dai nippon), covers, perak stamps and some POW mail.

Does anybody know where are the best places to find Jap Occ stamps? Most dealers have a very limited stock, hugely Overpriced and are not really very knowledgeable on the items.

I look forward to hearing from any group members
:D Dominique

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 am 
MSG member

Welcome to the MSG

domdon950 wrote:
Does anybody know where are the best places to find Jap Occ stamps? Most dealers have a very limited stock, hugely Overpriced and are not really very knowledgeable on the items.

There are a few who are knowledgable, though not cheap.
Peter Singer of USA - attends Stampex in London and his daughter-in- law runs the ebay end of the business as 'Gailsinger' his daughter is also on ebay as 'Annakodesch' with some of his stock.

SG in the strand London, all their Jap Occ has been checked by someone who really knows the stuff, and is a good source. http://www.stanleygibbons.com

beyond that you really need to get to know the stuff so you can buy from those who know less than you :)

hope we'll see you at meetings in London.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm 
MSG member

Thank you for your advice Susan

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with regards to knowing ones stuff. I am hoping that this will come with time and education.

Being quite young(27) It often feels that Im not taken seriously at times. Also other than my uncle, i have found it rather difficult to find and interact with others within the hobby (perhaps because i am fairly new).

This is why I was hoping the malaya Study group would be a perfect platform.

I live in London and would be glad to attend meetings.

On the subject of Gibbons, i was under the impressions that they sell at catalogue prices which most people never pay (unless they are very rare, or the buyer is fortunate to be well off)

Also, is there a specific area to upload images of stamps/postcards?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 pm 
MSG member

HIi Dominique

re SG pricing - in their shop it is ( i think) usually Catalogue price !
But they have monthly lists and occasional auctions where this does not apply.

I think its worth getting their lists if only for the education.

The MSG's next meeting is at Worthing in September, we're back in London in October and hope to meet you then.
You can upload pictures to this site - using the upload attachment tab. It then needs to be placed in-line, just choose your topic area, and have a go.

regards Susan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 pm 
MSG member

Has anybody used Murray Payne as a dealer?

Ive just visited his stall the the York Stamp Fair. although his prices are high he claims that he has independent checks carried out to authenticate the Japanese Chops. In fact he was keen to ask me how i generally determine which stamps were forgeries.

I am quickly realising that you have to be very careful to try and make sure you are not buying a forgery, however this can be tricky. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:16 am 
MSG member

re Murray Payne,

yes have bought from them, very happily, and know Dickon. You can buy confidently from him :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:00 am 
MSG member

Thanks for the heads up susan :D