malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:50 pm 
MSG member

Could anyone give a brief comment on the following books, particularly whether they relate to airmail in the Pacific, ie Asia - US/UK? Are rates,routes and dates mentioned as well? Are they useful in the study of Malayan Airmail?

Airmail 1870 -1970 by James Mackay
Via Airmail - An Aerophilatelic Survey of Routes, Rates, ...
Bridging the Pacific 1919 - 1951
Intercontinental Airmails Vol 1 - Proud
Imperial Airways & Subsidiary Companies
Pan American Airways

Appreciate your comments before I placed the orders. Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:19 pm 
MSG member

As this book covers Air Mails from 1870 to 1970 it must be a very general book without any depth on any particular subject. I haven't seen it but it might be useful for a beginner seeking general knowledge. If you want to study a specific area(s) of airmails this probably isn't what is required.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:00 pm 
MSG member

Thanks, Andrew. Is there a review on Proud's Intercontinental Airmails? I have been MIA for a while andhave not kept uptodate with the journals and NLs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 pm 
MSG member

A review ofTed Proud's 'Intercontinental Airmails' has been submitted to 'The Malayan Philatelist' and all being well should be in the next distribution. I only know this because I wrote it!

This is only Volume One of a trilogy to cover commercial flights carrying civilian mail up to 1945. Volume One for example has over 100 pages on Pan American trans-pacific flights (Clipper Mail) which is very useful for a collector of Malayan air mails. Volume Two is flights to the Far East so obviously will again be useful. Volume Three is about flights to Africa so less useful - but completes the set!

It really depends on how much you are in to air mails. If you want to be able to tell with reasonable certainty which planes (but censorship in WW2 doesn't help) flew your covers then these books are ideal. If you are happy to just know the rates and collect on that basis then perhaps not.

The books contain a lot of useful information other than just flight details, such as rates and often to odd ball countries. Exotic covers to out of the way places by services little used by Malayan mails can also be traced. The pictures in Vol. 1 are nice too!

The excellent books by Mr.Wingent on Imperial flights have taught me the worth of these sort of books to me - but that may not hold for everyone. Your choice but I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:02 am 
MSG member

Based on what you wrote, I already decided to get the book. Alas, James Song do not hold any more stock due to hefty shipping charges and more importantly, no demand from collectors. I had to order books from Prestige recently and the shipping alone is a whooping AUD90, enough to get another good book.

By the way, what's the full title of Wingent's book?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am 
MSG member

Alright, I've got Wingent's book title - it's Aircraft Movements on Imperial Airways Eastern Routes Vol 1 & 2.

Thanks for the lead.

It's published by the author himself - I wonder if it's still available - I have his address only, does anyone has his email?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:14 am 
MSG member

Hi,

I notice that Proud's Vol 2 on Intercontinental Airways is already being offered elsewhere. May I know is there any arrangement for MSG to offer this book to members?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm 
MSG member

Enoch, I think it is unlikely that the group will offer this , as we only sell MSG publications [see the publications page on the website] However it is sold through many outlets, you might try James Song, who has recently moved- see the website also for his address, which is :
Block 10C Braddell Hill,
# 22-10 Braddell View Estate
Singapore 579722

email: jamesong@starhub.net.sg

Ted Proud is a long time member of the Group, and his address is below:

Proud Bailey & Co.
P.O.Box 74
Heathfield
E. Sussex TN21 8PZ
United Kingdom

Another postal history source which has some Airmail publications is the Stuart Rossiter Trust [www.rossitertrust.com].

Best regards

Nick Hackney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:11 am 
MSG member

I have James Mackay's "Airmails 1870-1970". It is an generalist book and rather patchy. OK as a primer for casual reading but not much good for research.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:19 am 
MSG member

Thanks for the update. I didn't get the book but that should not hinder anyone else - without deep pockets, I reserve my finances for only the best and necessary.