malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Letters to the Editor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 pm 

Can I send an email 'letter to the editor'?

If so, I'd like to ask everyone why the forum is not more popular?

It would seem to offer members lots of opportunities to discuss pretty much anything to do with collecting Malayan stamps, request help with their collections, and contribute to increased knowledge of our particular sphere of philatelic interest.

Also, given the wide geographic distribution of our members it would seem to offer a means of taking part in the club, even if attending meetings is too expensive or inconvenient.

(As an aside, it would be nice to see web copies of the presentations that are shown at club meetings on the website. It might even convince casual visitors to join the group, (if the club will pay my train-fare I'll take the photos and write the articles ;) )).

Is it simply apathy, or are other factors at work?

Are our members generally technophobes?

Are they keen 'clubbists', enjoying the company of other members, rather than the remote communication that the forum offers?

Are they predominately casual collectors, (like me) - filling the gaps in their collections on an occasional basis, without perhaps the wherewithal or inclination to be more active?

For myself I have felt unable to contribute to the research projects as my collection is quite modest, but at the same time I do like to interact with other collectors.

Also, my knowledge of Malayan philately is bounded by visits to the Post Office in K.L. as a lad and the general history and geography of the peninsula as taught in the Min.Def school in K.L. and Bourne School in Singapore, (I don't quite understand why the schools taught Malayan history and geography to us children of forces/diplomatic parents who were bound to be going back to the UK and who would then have to catch up on their UK studies).

I do know how hard it was to get hold of Perlis and Terengganu definitives in the 60's, and I know how much harder it is now to get anything but mint issues.

I suspect that the serious amounts of uncommitted capital needed to build an in-depth collection of a country with such a diverse and complicated philatelic history as Malaysia limits the contribution to serious research that most collectors can make, but isn't there room and inclination towards less intensive chat?

Answers, preferably in an email, or better yet, on the forum, please.

Ben

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:58 pm 
MSG member

Re your comment:
it would be nice to see web copies of the presentations that are shown at club meetings on the website.

you'll find some thing on each meeting on 'Reports of meetings' organised by year, and almost always a lot more on the 'MSG members only area'

if you are not yet registered for the members only area, follow the links - its easy to join.

It would be good to see the Forum used more :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:44 am 

:oops: It pays to check ones facts before passing comment, doesn't it. I should have looked at the meeting reports first.

Ben