malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:37 am 
MSG member

At the recent MSG meeting in P. J., Malaysia, another interesting postcard was shown and discussed. This was the 1941 S.S. KGVI 2¢ orange PSPC, being the very last of the S.S. PSPCs. This example was uprated with a 2¢ green (with some scuffing) to make up the 4¢ wartime rate and sent from Penang to Segamat, Johore with a ‘Penang Malaya 23 JY 41’ d/r c.d.s. The reverse bears a chettiar message which, reflecting wartime thrift. has used up most of the available space (see illustrations).

According to facts supplied to me by Dr. Gaden Robinson, 250,000 pieces of this card were printed on 29th January 1941. Several were used from Penang by Mr. Magness, who appeared to have access to ‘leaked’ copies from May 1941. There are only two known commercially used examples, both used in July 1941. Andrew Norris has the other example used from Penang to Alor Star on 26th July 1941 which is the latest known date of use.

A lively discussion centred around the known facts. The change in colour of the 2¢ stamp from green to orange necessitated a change in colour of its PSPC also from green to orange. However, it would have been highly unusual to issue the PSPC before the stamp, as had apparently happened in this case since the 2¢ orange stamp was issued only on 6th October 1941. Could it be that the 2¢ orange PSPC was prematurely issued by the Penang post office and subsequently withdrawn? This could account for the scarcity of commercially used examples and the observation that examples used in Singapore or Malacca do not appear to exist. The premature issue could have been a simple mistake. Alternatively, there could have been a temporary shortage of the 2¢ green PSPC in Penang which was met by issuing the 2¢ orange PSPC but this is unlikely.

Any insights, comments or queries are welcome.

gongnh
Attachment:
File comment: This is the front of the PSPC
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg [ 62.5 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: This is the reverse of the PSPC
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 005.jpg [ 86.48 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:34 pm 
MSG member

The Straits 2c Orange card is known used in Penang + Alor Star, Scarcity rating B which means we have between 6 and 10 examples recorded. All uses are in the summer of 1941.
It seems that some were issued genuinely, in Penang but not else where in Malaya. I am inclined to agree with the suggestion that premature issuing was a simple mistake.
Many of these cards were overprinted during the Jap Occupation, and some survived to be used in the BMA era.

My source for this is the draft of the MSG ' MALAYA POSTAL STATIONERY 1937 - 1947' book, the typescript draft is open before me as I type this !!
The book covers this and many other interesting puzzles of Postal stationery.
I am in the process of selecting illustrtaions, and hope to hand the book to the printers next month.
WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT THE BOOK :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:27 am 
MSG member

I have 2 such cards, one was used from Nibong Tebal (19 July 1941) to Seremban and the other ( a Chettiar card) from Penang (12 Aug 1941) to AlorStar.

I also have a copy uprated with the Type C red Postage Paid marking for 2c used Penang (5 No 1941) to Sitiawan, Perak.