malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Forgeries
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:31 pm 
MSG member

Thread gone dormant. Wish forgers had gone dormant too.

Attachment:
anglo-americanappraisal.jpg
anglo-americanappraisal.jpg [ 122.69 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

Attachment:
postagechew.jpg
postagechew.jpg [ 20.23 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

more from postagechew
Attachment:
$(KGrHqZHJE0FIKRZHZCFBSIderhu)!~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqZHJE0FIKRZHZCFBSIderhu)!~~60_3.jpg [ 101.36 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:24 am 

Little chance of that happening, so long as the weeds keep selling the forgers will keep making, and I suspect the making becomes an addiction, just like the collecting. I just wish they would sell them as fantasies or forgeries instead of trying to fool us. There's a ready market for those too, its just not so lucrative.

Shame we can no longer see buyer's id's. Then we could ask them whether they knowingly bought a forgery. :?

By the way, I am collecting the images posted here and if I can get myself motivated will write them up.
With that in mind, when posting a forgery I personally would love to know what is wrong with the item - as per your 'seen on ebay, horrible wrong chop on unissued 2c Pahang'
Checking SG I can see the 2c orange was never issued, but with red on orange I'm struggling to make out the chop. Even extracting it with Photoshop doesn't help a lot, but yes I can see that the forgery chop is quite loosely executed.
Here's a what a type 15 should look like and my best attempt at pulling the chop from the Pahang stamps.
So did you have to go to the catalogue to determine this is a forgery or is it that you know your subject well enough you could spot it as a wrong-un from memory?
:?:
If it's from memory, can you add comments as to the wrongness of the other offerings?
It looks to me as though postagechew has used ink that's too thin and it's permeated into the paper more than the originals did. I have to say I only have one example of this chop and it is even less clear than this forgery, but it is clear edged, as are all the other overprints that I have.

Attachments:
jo-Type 15.jpg
jo-Type 15.jpg [ 846.24 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]
jo forged pahang.jpg
jo forged pahang.jpg [ 84.09 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:29 am 
MSG member

Ben
the best way 'to determine this is a forgery is to know your subject well enough you could spot it as a wrong-un from memory' yes absolutely!!

the best tutorial on Jap occ chops is Bill Barker's paper. Available on the Members only area as a down load.

type 15 is the double frame chop (2 lines of frame) the Pahang fake is supposed to be a single frame chop (1 line of frame)
I don't want to be too specific on an open forum, !
and recomend Bill's paper. Jap Occ chops are not easy - but they wouldn't be fun if easy.

re postagechew's johore and other earlies, I believe from you other posts you have the Hale + Norris article on Johore SG1, that's the best guide. When you're OK on Johore SG1, you'll not like that vendor's other early Malaya