malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 pm 
MSG member

I have often discussed this stamp at MSG meetings over many years, without the stamp being present for the most part, but present on occasions.
The reaction I received was that it was not unusual. I have studied many hundreds of stamps from this issue since, but have never seen another like it. I therefor challenge the statement that it is not unusual. How many other collectors can display an example from this issue, any base value, with 'ONE' well to the left of 'CENT'? I await the results with trepidation!

Due to the scans resolution, I have just noticed for the first time, a white flaw to the left of 'SIX'. If this flaw is known, it would identify the position of the surcharge on the sheet. Get your magnifiers out!

8-)

Attachments:
1c on 6c lilac.jpg
1c on 6c lilac.jpg [ 92.19 KiB | Viewed 1800 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:42 pm 
MSG member

This issue is generally under researched. I have put together a reasonable collection which has allowed me to do a small study, but more material would be required to progress further. Should any other MSG members be interested in this issue, and have material, I would like to suggest we commence the first MSG 'Forum Study'. We are supposed to be a 'Study Group', lets study and produce the definitive publication on these fascinating stamps!
I will volunteer to be the central point of contact if required.

:|

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:15 pm 
MSG member

Here's another, without the defect in the value tablet. It is apparently the same overprint, with all details appearing identical to my eye, but the parent stamp is different, with many small differences apparent. Must be the same position on a different pane. Have other examples of this 'one shifted to the left' variety shown up since your original post? I certainly back your position that it IS unusual.

Attachments:
001617.jpg
001617.jpg [ 99.03 KiB | Viewed 1619 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm 
MSG member

Also, I would say that the N of cents may be of a different font than the normal. Note the upright strokes are much thicker than the normal and both serifs are not centered on the uprights, but shifted inward. I guess this could just be wear or damage, but now that I'm aware of it, it looks quite distinct. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 am 
MSG member

I would say that you have the second reported value! The flaw before 'SIX' may well be transient, so not really important. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 pm 
MSG member

I agree, the flaw may be transient, but I still say the parent stamps are from different panes, so maybe it is constant. My evidence:
Top horizontal stroke of the first 'E' in SETTLEMENTS- on your copy it's thick, on mine it's broken.
Horizontal stroke of 2nd 'T' of SETTLEMENTS- yours complete, mine missing at right.
Horizontal stroke of last 'T' of SETTLEMENTS- yours missing at left, mine complete.
If the overprint was set in a block of 60, this shifted variety would occur on four different parent stamps, each with their own characteristics. I think we're looking at two of them.