malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Repaired oval?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 pm 
MSG member

I recently noticed this copy of SG64 with a different level of damage to the area above the "O" of POSTAGE. The image in the Stanley Gibbons catalogue shows a larger break to the letter "P", a portion of the oval missing entirely, and more extensive damage to the lines of shading. My copy, I believe, may show the results of an attempt to repair the damage to the plate, as was done with the Malformed "S"/Repaired "S". Note the uneven oval and shading lines on my copy where these are missing on Gibbons' example. Does anyone have other examples they could share that show the same, or other, states of this plate damage?
Jean-Paul

Attachments:
001922.jpg
001922.jpg [ 48.26 KiB | Viewed 1651 times ]
001921.jpg
001921.jpg [ 105.22 KiB | Viewed 1651 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Repaired oval?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:24 am 
MSG member

Hello all,
Just checked to see if there were any replies to this post, and it occurred to me that my suggestion that this example "may show the results of an attempt to repair the damage to the plate, as was done with the Malformed "S"/Repaired "S"." makes little sense, as SG98 still had the flaw. It would seem that my example must be an early state of the flaw. I suppose I picked a bad heading for my post.
So now, in addition to my earlier query, I wonder if anyone knows of examples of SG64 or SG98 from lower right pane R. 10/5 which don't show the flaw at all? Because of the position near the corner of the pane, I would guess that many blocks exist. Can anyone point me to other writings on this flaw?
Thanks for your responses,
Jean-Paul

Profile Send private message