malayastudygroup.com If you have issues joining the Forum send an email to malayastudygroup@hotmail.co.uk

The Malaya Study Group Forum & Bulletin Board

Click here to go Home to Malayastudygroup.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm 
MSG member

As discussed at the recent 'Provisionals' display in London, I will be launching a study project on this forum. :)

To take part, you will require a specially produced measuring template, which I would supply, and be an MSG member. :roll:

I would like to know how many members are interested in carrying out detailed measurements for this task, and would require their own plastic template? :|

The reason for a template, which will be fully described shortly, is to ensure that all researchers follow the same measurements. ;)

Watch this space for more information :geek:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:40 am 
MSG member

All of the documents and an explanation of the proposed system are now on the MSG web site.

Please visit the site and study the proposals if interested and make your comments in this section of the forum.

Thanks.
:ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:56 pm 
MSG member

Dear Mac,

This is a fascinating subject and anyone who has a collection of QV Straits must have some of this material. Sadly for you I sold my collection with the rest of my Straits bathwater many years ago at auction at H.R.Harmer Ltd.

I do remember that Peter Lister became very interested in these surcharges and that he did a lot of detailed measurement of the settings and even within a setting as described by Dr. Wood he found variations. I should add that Peter was a lecturer at Enfield Technical College (? or some similar facility) so had some hi tech kit to do the measuring.

Though Peter later sold his collection as well and has become very involved with The British Air Mail Society (currently Chairman - or is it chief pilot?) he is still a member and attended the last AGM. It would be great if he kept a file of notes which you could borrow and I would encourage you to contact Peter as early as possible.

Good luck with this worthwhile project in an area that has been neglected for too long. I hope that you get a few keen members to join you in the fun and discovery bit. They can't all be frightened of a measuring template!
I

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
MSG member

:) Mac , would be interested in receiving the template. I have three blocks of 60 of the 1c on 8c yellow.

All I think from the first setting and from the left side of the sheet. Where these stamps printed in sheets of 240 [ 4 panes of 60? ]. If so I think that two of the blocks are bottom left and one is top left.

I know of someone with a block of 60 from the second setting top left hand pane - suspect they would be willing to take part or at least lend the sheet for research purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:30 am 
MSG member

John,

I will post a template to you, are you left or right handed? They are produced so that the template can be held in position whilst the other hand records the measurements.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:27 pm 
MSG member

Mac , I'm left handed so if you can send appropriate template I'll be able to start measurements for you

john

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:51 pm 
MSG member

Mac,

I have found my 'colection' of these ! :D - its not really my area :roll:

one block of 4
can I lend it to you, so you can measure?, rather than send me a template ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am 
MSG member

If it is a block of four, I could measure it on the spot. Will let you know when I will next attend a meeting, the auction is on Brenda's bithday, so it looks like the 'Royal' at the moment.

Thanks for the interest!

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:57 am 
MSG member

it is indeed a block of 4, so will bring it to the next meeting you are at.

if not the Auction, ( 18th July )
Worthing 12th SEptember ?

Royal 15th Oct ?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRENDA :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:56 pm 
MSG member

Mac
I have a block of 12, 2 bolocks of 4 and a couple of pairs as well as numerous singles. I will be pleased to help with the project.